Sunday, April 15, 2012

That's Not Right....

I've been looking at this for 3 days now thinking that's just not right


Finally I had an epiphany.  Pants have two separate legs; I'm thinking of skirts.  I've been trying to make a pair of Kickin' Back Sweats (my second pattern from Sewing for Boys).  While I'm really liking this book so far, and I think it has a lot of great info for less experienced sewers (ahem, like me) such as what needle and stitch to use and what fabrics will work well for which patterns, sometimes I'm just beyond all reasonable help.  But I digress.  I had an epiphany, and five minutes later (after snapping this pic for purely comical reasons) I had this:


times two of course.  I was pleasantly surprised how shortly thereafter I had this:


and still had time to sew up another raw edge raglan before el monstruito woke up.  I already had the pieces cut out so it was all sewing.  Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to get to the fabric store for a new twin needle.  On the bright side, though, I now have a better understanding of why it's recommended.  C'est la vie eh?


You can see the pants are kinda long.  They're made from a thrifted sweatshirt and the cuffs were the waistband of the sweatshirt so they're ribbed.   (Yet another pattern where you can have nice finished edges without the finishing when you start with recycled materials).  Rolled up they're the perfect length.... and he'll grow.  Oddly, the shirt is a lengthened 4/5 and it fits perfectly.  The pants are a 2/3 and they're huge!  He must take after me: long torso and short legs.  Either that or the sizing on these patterns is a bit off.  That's why it's so imperative to measure you're little guy and refer to the sizing chart at the front.


The shirt is super soft with neon designs: some sort of writing on the back and this crazy looking scarecrow with a Chinese kind of hat on the front, all in neon orangey-pink.  I had to put the lettering upside down on the back (so presumably it's nonsensical) to squeeze four sleeves and a front and back out of this one shirt.  I'm not sure what it's made of since there was no English lettering anywhere on the tag but it seemed kind of sticky on the iron without actually melting so I think there's some elastic or something mixed in there with the cotton.


It wasn't quite warm enough to continue jacket-less, but it was nice enough to break out the sidewalk chalk!

Check out that concentration!  All in all: love these patterns, love that baby, love summer (wish it would get here!)

No comments:

Post a Comment