Saturday, April 28, 2012

KCWC Day 6: The Henry Shirt

I skipped out on blogging yesterday because, quite frankly, I had nothing to show for it.  I spent countless hours cutting out the pieces for the Henry shirt, prepping the details, and at the end of the day only had a few real seams sewn.  Today I sat down and started sewing and, much to my surprise, I actually finished it.  Sure there were some disheartening moments...  Like seaming the yoke/sleeves to the rest of the shirt:

I understand all too well now why you don't normally see button up raglans.  This seam is pinned and sewn not once, but twice (the second time through three layers) around all kinds of crazy twists and turns.  And then it says, get this, to press the seam.  That seam?  Right there...  Bwahahahaha.  I can only assume that was a joke because how?  It doesn't seem to have hurt it at all.  Finally I flip the shirt right side out and realize two things:

First, it would seem that I am actually making a bowling shirt.  An honest to goodness bowling shirt.  Sheesh.

 Second: which of these should go on the outside?  I'm honestly not sure...  But I think it's probably the one I put on the inside =P

I think I can live with it.  I do not know if I'll be making any more of these...  Perhaps I'll make him wear it awhile before deciding.  I used a recycled men's shirt (the white) and some fabric I picked up at the thrift store.  The nice thing about using a RTW shirt is that I didn't have to do the button band or snaps,  I just cut the fronts and button bands together (minus the seam allowance, of course) and otherwise sewed everything up pretty much the same.  Buttons and buttonholes included =)

He's wearing it over a white shirt here which was probably not the best choice, but you get the idea.  I used these fabrics so I wouldn't be too upset if it didn't turn out quite right and, to be honest, I don't love the way they look together.  It's okay, though, hopefully it'll grow on me.  And if it does he'll have a matching shirt/pants set because I used the same fabric paired with denim on the Treasure Pocket Pants I made but have yet to blog about.  I think that'd be too much...  Or maybe it's just about right...

New skills: using fusible interfacing! and whatever you wanna call that collar/yoke sewing debacle

Total cost: includes the small amount of that brown fabric and fusible interfacing used.  I would estimate about $2.  The white shirt was donated by my father.

Time taken: about 2 days which, all things considered, I'm happy with.  It definitely would've taken longer if I didn't have KCWC to motivate me.

No comments:

Post a Comment