Saturday, April 14, 2012

Surf's Up

 This is my second Raw Edge Raglan from Sewing for Boys.  I was so excited about the success of the first one and the fact that he actually wore it all day long (which is rare with any clothing at this point) that I was motivated to finish #2.  As a matter of fact, I finished the first one yesterday morning and finished this one last night, so this is definitely a quick pattern.  It's a good time for sewing, too, because spring is slowly coming on and we haven't bought Dj his summer wardrobe yet.  We even found a caterpillar while we were outside modeling today...

And it apparently looked delicious...

But don't worry because no caterpillars were harmed in the making of this post--just severely annoyed for a brief period of time.  And because the worst picture of your face is always the best picture of the garment (or am I the only one who's noticed that) I present this:

The sleeves and body of this shirt are from two different 99 cent thrift store shirts.  The blue shirt I already have cut and pinned for a single color version and there's enough of the green to do sleeves and collar on another one.  All in all I feel like this is a pretty thrifty way to build Dj's summer shirt wardrobe and brush up/build my sewing skills.  I've got my first pair of pants started which will hopefully lead to some homemade shorts as well.  I am having some problems getting my sewing machine to do what I want it to do but I think once I get a copy of the manual that'll help.  Oh, and I broke my twin needle trying to sew through too many layers on the collar so no more topstitching for me til next week =(  I had to use an alternate stitch on the neckband collar and it looks awful.  Lucky for me he's cute enough to pull it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment