Thursday, May 2, 2013

Thrifty Thursdays: I love the 90s

I do.  I love the 90s.  I am a child of the 90s.  I love brown cords, Friends, I know all the words to Closing Time, Torn, and all the songs from Everclear's first two albums.

But some things, like this mirror, just need to get wiped clean.  Please excuse my messy sewing room.  Now that I'm in such a smaller space the mess is that much more obvious.


I remember this being in style kind of towards the late 90s/early 00s.  Instead of a regular skirt, the sides on this sucker are suuuper long.  I got it from the Goodwill outlet for, umm, like 20 cents or something like that? (They sell by the pound there; that's right. BY. THE. POUND).  Expect to see a whole mess of refashions soon thanks to them.


Obvs the droopy sides were not workin' for me so I decided to whip up something equally ill thought out and trendy: the high low hem.  Business in the front...


Partay in the back.  This is a pretty moderate high/low hem.  I've seen some seriously crazy ones in the U District....  you know, the place inhabited by masses of the partially educated?  Yeah, that's the one.  Anyway...  I'm not 18 and I don't think I've been on trend, erm, ever?  For realz.  There's something about being trendy that kills me a little bit on the inside.


Yet here I am.  It seemed too boring to simply put an even hem on this thing.  So ya wanna know how I did it?  A stroke of brilliance really, this one.  I turned it sideways and then brought the side-turned-front waaay up.  Don't tell anybody, but I've got a seam running up the center front, one running up the center back, and yet another one on one side.  The asymmetry of the situation would kill me it it wasn't already so purposefully asymmetrical.


 The hem is zigzagged because I broke my twin needle the second I started sewing (always remember to change back to a straight stitch... and that's all there is to say about that). 

 There were originally ties or something on this skirt that the original owner tried to cut off. I think it's worth pointing out that this is not how to go about tie removal. For one thing, if you cut too close then a hole forms, as the tie remover in this situation found out. Even if you don't end up with holes you've got all this extra bulk in the seam allowances (and who needs that?) and the pieces that remain stick out all funny. What I did to fix this situation was just to rip open the seams, remove the offending tie remnants, and then sew the seams right back up. It really doesn't take that long. I've done that before I knew how to sew, though, so I'm here to say it's not that hard; you can still save it!


All in all I like this skirt.  It's fun, it doesn't wrinkle, I don't have t wear a slip with it, and it feels a little extra twirly, like having a tail or something.  I'm not quite a high/low convert yet, but this one's ok I guess.

On a completely unrelated note: I move that we ditch high/low, hi/low, high-low, etc. and just start calling it what it really is: SKIRT MULLET 

Verdict: Twenty cents and twenty minutes WELL SPENT.

No comments:

Post a Comment