Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pink maxi refashion

As I've mentioned before, I'm trying to get through my big pile of things to "relove".  My dearest mommy has a habit of sending all her unwanted stuff my way, most notably all her big, long, gathered skirts.  This pink knit skirt was in good condition, but totally not my style or size.  Totes my color though, non?

 The before:


And after


This was a really simple, quick refashion.  I basically measured where I wanted it to end and begin, then cut off the old elastic waistband and the excess at the hem.  Then I  tried it on inside out and pinned where I wanted to sew the new side seams.  This skirt had princess style seams, so now there are two old seams on the front, two on the back, and the two side seams that I sewed.  


The waistband is all knit, no elastic, just like a neckband.  I like this for knits, I think it's a nice clean finish.  I cut two pieces measuring half 85% of the body measurement where I wanted the skirt to fall by twice as tall as I wanted the waistband to be (wow, how was that for jibberish?!).  Then I just stretched and sewed.  It probably would've been nice if I'd zigzagged down the seam allowance, but, yeah...  Just, no.  I zigzagged the hem because I broke my twin needle, remember?


I absolutely love this skirt!  It's so comfy but I think it looks pretty good.  Even though it's a knit it looks good with a shirt tucked in or left loose.  I'll be honest; my life is incomplete without a pink A-line skirt and now I have a new one =D  Simple and easy, awesome results.  I really needed a quick, simple project, too.  I feel like I've been having an excessive number of epic sewing fails lately.  You may see a return to simpler projects for awhile...  


And of course I'll show you the fails for the comic value, it's just too soon.  The pain is too fresh.

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool! It looks really good! I do kinda want to see your fails sometimes though.... :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh they're coming... they're coming (cue ominous music)

    ReplyDelete