Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Chevron Skirt

My first experiment in stripe matching has turned out to be a success.  Check out my perfect chevrons =)

Please ignore the fact that my black slip is so blatantly hanging out.  I really must make myself a white slip.  Actually, I still haven't shown off my black slip.  I've developed a bit of a backlog of projects to be blogged. Fortunately (?) the neverending quilt of doom 2 is fixing that.  By the time I finish it I expect this blog (and the world as we know it) will have shriveled up and died.  Victims of entropy the lot of us.

I used the same basic pattern I used for my last two skirts...  Except I cut each piece out flat instead of on the fold so there are four main pieces.  I left off the pockets for fear of next level stripe matching, which means I all four pieces are the same!  I'd like to add patch pockets, but this skirt is already seeing pretty frequent wear so it's hard to say when/if I'll ever get around to it.

I think the bias flows pretty nicely.  I like it.  I could technically wear it with the chevron pointing up or down because, hey, one pattern piece!  It's probably worth mentioning that the waistband is elastic (and, ahrm, handstitched).  I wasn't sure how topstitching and zippers and stuff would work with the drape of the bias.     

The fabric was a sheet at Goodwill that was just too cutesy to pass up for $2.  It's mostly purple and pink with some sparkle.  I bought it thinking baby clothes but I obviously got distracted ;)

The colors are a little less pronounced IRL.  I just wanted you to see my awesome stripe matching.  I cheated when I cut the pieces out.  Since this fabric is the same on both sides I just cut one piece using the pattern and for the other three I just used that piece as my pattern.  That way it was really easy to see if the stripes lined up.

Those lines are from the iron-on seam binding I applied then removed.  It was too stiff and the bias cut fabric was all wrinkly along it.  The vintage seam binding from the thrift was a lot softer and drapier than this stuff I bought at the LFS.  Win some, lose some I suppose.   I've heard fabric cut on the bias doesn't unravel...  I guess I'll find out!

Fabric: less than half of a $2 sheet, so $1
Notions: Almost $3 worth of (wasted) seam binding and about $1 worth of elastic

Total cost: $5

Running total: $8.20

Final thought: Seam binding may or may not be worth the money =(  but three skirts for less than $9 is working for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment