Tuesday, June 26, 2012

retro darling.


Now with sleeves =)  Yet another maternity top based on the Darling ranges dress pattern.  I used the same old pieces; nothing new.  That is, I used the same pieces I used for this one, meaning the back is cut out with curved sides as opposed to back darts.  I think I may have added a bit to the FBA over DR the first, though it's definitely not the hot mess I ended up with on the second one.

I think?  That's right...  This top has been in time out for at least two weeks.  Why?  Because as I finished sewing the seams on this top I had two revelations: this material is polyester (I think, it seems to fit with the print, no?) and polyester does not stretch.


I saw the material at the op shop and resisted it for two weeks.  Finally the oh so '60s retro print won out over my common sense and I bought it.  In the store I actually thought it was brown, red, orange, and white.  Upon closer inspection in better light I believe it is purple, not brown.  I wish it was brown though =(  Wouldn't that be an awesomely unusual (and just bearably awful) color combo?


You can kind of see that there's a lot of fabric pooling on the lower back, which I've noticed a problem with before.  I have no idea what to do about it though =(

Obviously a pattern this crazy needs a simple pattern with clean lines.  That's what I love so much about the Darling Ranges pattern; the busier the fabric the better!  It just works.  At least I think so and a few other people do too.


Of course there's nothing to be done about looking like a giant beach ball at this point...

Unfortunately this material, as I mentioned, does not stretch as much as cotton does.  I've always heard that woven fabric doesn't stretch, but it's a lie!  It looks like buttons are about to go flying.  I don't think they are, but it hurts my self esteem to see people donning safety goggles at my approach.  You can kind of see that here, but it doesn't look as bad as I imagined, so maybe it isn't?


I love it anyway.  I can't wait til I can wear it.  That's right, I don't care it's supposed to be maternity wear.  I fully plan on rocking this shirt post-baby.  As a matter of fact I might even decide I don't care about potentially dangerous projectiles and wear it now!  The print, the pattern: it's just so retro.  Since it seems to be synthetic I expect it won't breathe well but I've worn it around the house quite a bit and have no evidence to support those fears.


I went for bright red topstitching just to jazz things up a bit.  I love the way it looks, I think it really brings out the red/orange part of the print.

One of my absolute favorite things about this shirt is that the fabric seems to be actually retro; like decades old!  It certainly smells like my great grandmother's house when it's ironed.  It's like a time capsule, but more fun because it's crafty =)  I also used some more old stash buttons.  I would've used bright red to match the thread if I'd had enough of those.  Interesting thought: the buttons may actually be the same age as the fabric.  Yay for using what ya got and making do.  BTW where did all these buttons come from?!

No comments:

Post a Comment